Our ‘EMDR Therapy Basic Training’ prepares and qualifies professional therapists and counselors to practice EMDR therapy in Hong Kong and overseas.
The training’s format was designed by the originator of the EMDR therapy Francine Shapiro (PhD). It is accredited by EMDR Institute (USA) and by EMDR Asia and complies with the “Approved EMDR Training Curriculum” of EMDR Asia and EMDR International Association.
The training consists of the following Parts:
A workshop of 3 consecutive days consisting of lectures, videotaped demonstrations, live demonstrations, and supervised practicum. Participants learn a broad spectrum of EMDR therapy techniques sufficient for comfortable and efficient use with a wide range of patients with simple cases. More details are HERE.
After Part-1 training, participants must gain experience in actual EMDR treatment of simple cases. After having gained experience of at least 5 clients during the 6 months preceding the GSCC sessions, graduates of Part-1 training can participate in Part-2. Part-2 consists of:
- GSCC sessions (details below). 3 sessions, each of 2 hours.
- Workshop. An advanced workshop of 3 days, also consisting of lectures, videotaped demonstrations, live demonstrations, and supervised practicum.
More details HERE.
After Part-2 training, participants must gain more experience in actual EMDR treatment of all cases (both simple and complex cases). After having gained experience of at least 5 clients during the 6 months preceding the GSCC sessions, it is time to proceed to the final part of the training – the Consolidation. The Consolidation part consists of:
- Advanced GSCC sessions (details below). 3 sessions, each of 2 hours.
- Case Report. Submit a written report.
More details HERE.
After having successfully completed the Consolidation part, participants are granted a Certificate of Completion of the EMDR Therapy Basic Training.
After having successfully completed the Consolidation part, graduates will be listed in the Registry – The Registered EMDR Therapists of Hong Kong.
The GSCC sessions are conducted by EMDRHK trainers and facilitators /consultants who utilize guided reflection and support. They have been developed by EMDRHK as a forum for facilitating collaborative reflection on EMDR experiences for both personal and professional growth. Underpinned by studies conducted by Professor Atara Sivan on ways to enhance professionals’ reflection on their own practices (Sivan, 2017, 2020) the GSCC sessions encourage personal reports on cases utilizing EMDR and sharing among group members. The GSCC sessions are tailored to the local cultural context of Hong Kong and its learning patterns.
To apply to any part of the training, please proceed as follows:
- For Part-1 – read here PART-1
- For Part-2 – read here PART-2
- For Consolidation – read here Consolidation
Applications & Admissions procedures may be updated by EMDRHK from time to time.
-  Sivan, A. (2017, April). Facilitating EMDR therapists’ practice through group sharing and case consultation. Paper presented at the Third EMDR Asia conference, Shanghai, China.
-  Sivan, A. (2020, January). Reflection on Action: Supporting EMDR clinicians in their training and application. Paper presented at the Fourth EMDR Asia, Bangkok, Thailand